Friday, January 27, 2012

Short and sweet

I'm taking a short break from Serial Psyence for the next few days as I work on a short story set in the same world as Liberator's Ruin - in fact, a story about how Celine joined the Storm Brother. It's all very exciting and full of action. Possibly because I just felt like writing something like that. There's not a lot of action in Serial Psyence at the moment (which probably means, after 26,000 words, it's probably due some), but in a way, that's also down to the nature of the story, being a crime thriller. Only set in space. With telepaths.

Anyway, short story! It's been a while since I last attempted to write one, so I thought I'd have another go. I've never quite seemed able to work to short story lengths, so when I try, I often end up with something close to 10,000 words. Which is a bit too long. I also find coming up with an applicable plot that works within such a small amount of words difficult to do. But, the idea of how Nathaniel and Celine met was never going to be a long story. The two of them thrown together, and the outcome being she ends up as crew. The journey, however, is turning out to be a little bumpy.

I'm already 4,000 words in. Let's hope there's only a few thousand more. Knowing myself, something will come up, and that'll change.

No comments:

Post a Comment