Monday, January 16, 2012

You clever, witty thing you

Last night, I sat down to watch the last episode of the current series of Sherlock, on BBC 1 with Heather. I have to admit that, the first I heard of Sherlock, before the showing of the first series, I was somewhat unsure. A modern take on Sherlock Holmes, you say? Set in 21st century London? Rubbish, that won't work.

Oh, how wrong I was. Once again showing how capable a story teller he is, Steve Moffat crafted an intelligent, witty drama, whilst Benedict Cumberbatch gave us an autistic, high-functioning sociopath.

And now the second series has come to a close, ending with the episode ominously called Reichenbach Falls (the place, in the original stories, where Sherlock Holmes fights to the death with his archnemisis, Moriarty). Suffice to say, the episode was a rollercoaster ride as Moriarty cleverly destroys Holmes' reputation. I shan't spoil the ending, though I see what they meant about a third series. Its release can't come soon enough.

I realise that I'm doing a disservice to the other two writers involved in the show: both Mark Gatiss and Steve Thompson also deserve to share the limelight.

It's times like this that I worry that I'll never be able to craft a story of the magnitude and intelligence of Sherlock, but then I have to remember that there are three writers, bouncing ideas between them, and just maybe, I can do that too.

We shall see how Serial Psyence progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment