Monday, February 7, 2011

An educated follower of gadgets

Let's get this out of the way now: I'm a technophile.

There, I said it. I love technology. There just seems to be something about those little oblong, flat, square, carved-out-of-a-single-block-of-aluminium, inside which is a vastly complex bundle of wires and chips, that fascinates me.

Even the idea of some next-gen kit gives me a nerdgasm. Recently, I read about this arm-mounted PDA with a flexible OLED screen for use by armed forces. And what was the first thing I thought of? How awesome that would be as part of a spacesuit's gauntlet, showing his/her telemetry readouts, or maybe combined with a wrist-mounted scanner, so the screen displays the results from a mineral survey.

See what I mean? I could wax lyrical about something like that for ages. But then, out of little things are born big ideas. Imagine a mining ship, holding station above a potentially mineral-rich asteroid. The survey team jet down to get a closer look with geo-scan arrays, looking for the perfect spot to set up their drill.

Hmmm, I feel a story coming on ...

What I'm listening to: Sherlock Holmes soundtrack (still - it's the perfect music to listen to whilst I'm editing)

No comments:

Post a Comment