Monday, March 21, 2011

The writer's terror

I can feel the onset of writer's block.

It's like I've got a spectre, hovering over my shoulder, preparing to pounce and deny me my ability to put together a cohesive string of words. It's been a while since he and I last saw each other, one dark, dismal day, four years ago. the spectre rose up and did his best to make every last sentence a war, every word a battle. I suppose that's why I like to plan out my stories before hand. If I have a structure to work with, the words come more easily, because I know where the stories are going, so my characters are able to tell me how they are going to get there.

Right now, though, I'm just not feeling it. I think I can safely say this test of 'free-writing' has proved to be a bit of a failure. Having said that, I have at least learnt something about myself: structure is all. Structure is king.

On the plus side, I finished Dragon Age 2 last week - awesome fun - and have recently rediscovered the joy of Wind Waker. It's funny how a game you've had for years can suddenly rekindle a whole new sense of joy. I've only just started on my quest, but really looking forward to sailing the vast sea of Hyrule. Of course, I picked a fine time to get back into playing it, with the release of the 3DS right round the corner. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment