Monday, June 13, 2011

Visualisation

I'm a visual writer. I see the events I write about in my head, and the words I put on paper are my translations of those images. It's an odd way of doing things, but it works for me, and means I can put a lot of detail in my stories.

That also means I get inspired by things I see, be it a news report, a cloud, a car or a game.

Recently, I've been playing a bit of Metro 2033. I think it's an absolutely brilliant game. Sure, it has its flaws, but the combat is fun, and I love the tense bits, as you creep through the dark tunnels, with nothing but your headlamp for illumination.

Visually, I also find the game really inspiring. By playing it, I start thinking about a story with a similar setting. I'm not talking about the story of the game, or its exact setting. the author of Metro 2033 (Dimitri Glukhovsky) has already done that with his book. Which, by the way, is well worth a read.

No, what I mean is a post apocalyptic environment, where the air is toxic, forcing the populace underground. I really like it as a premise, so the visual aesthetic of the game has spawned a whole new world for me. I may never use it, what with Serial Psyence now well into its development, and two more books in mind for the crew of the Stormbrother after that, followed by a sci fi trilogy ... yeah, I have a lot of stories in my head. Keeps me busy.

Music of the week: I'm listening to the Halo and Halo Reach soundtracks at the moment. the sweeping orchestral scores fitting in quite well with my planning. Best of all, it works as a barrier between me and my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment