Friday, June 24, 2011

RIP Spidey

Wow, I actually have tears in my eyes.

In the latest issue of Ultimate Spider-man, Peter Parker dies, sacrificing himself to save his Aunt from the Green Goblin.

It's stupid, I know - I mean, I've not even read an issue of Ultimate Spider-man, or even any spidey comic for years. And this isn't even main continuity spidey either.

But it's still Spider-man.

Thing is, although I stopped reading the comics about 10 years ago (I couldn't afford to buy the issues each month), Spider-man has been my favourite superhero for over 20 years. It was the first proper comic I can remember reading in the 80s. Sure, the Batman Animated Series in the 90s is one of my favourite animated series, but so was Spider-man. That cartoon was one of the few to have stories that ran for the entire series. It was absolutely brilliant, and following in its big footsteps was the 2008 Spectacular Spider-man. I just bought the second series from iTunes, and frankly it's brilliant.

Spider-man has always been, and will always be, one of my favourite heroes.

I'm rambling now, I know - okay, okay, I'm basically gushing! but hey, it means a lot to me.

Maybe I should look into picking up the first volume of Ultimate Spidey and check it out for myself. Though I may wait til I have a tablet for my comic buying needs. that's a whole different blog though.

Anyhoo, I'm getting Spider-man Shattered Dimensions on the DS today, so that should cheer me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment