Monday, September 19, 2011

I just don't know

Do I want an iPad? Should I get one?

I don't know. The geek in me (read all of me, including that little fingernail that rolls its fictional eyes whenever I get stuck on the topic of geeky stuff) says yes. At the moment, I have a really underpowered netbook. I'm not kidding. If I try to do much more than writing on it, it has a fit and sits in the corner until I leave it alone. Browsing websites is a chore, and watching digital movies is a nausea-inducing exercise (ever been in a nightclub when the lights start blinking on and off rapidly, so that people look like they're moving jerkily? Yeah, bit like that).

I know what you'll say. Get a new laptop! Which is a good idea. My only problem is that the sort of new laptop I want, means spending upwards of £600 to get.

With the release of IOS5 later this year, an ipad is only getting more enticing. No more needing to tether the thing to a pc! Proper multi-tasking! I would still need a pc to do a lot of things with my book, especially when editing the file to get it ready to publish, though that's something I can use my current laptop for. And I could do a lot of writing on the ipad - as long as I got an external keyboard, essentially turning it into a netbook.

The problem is, I've been getting a bit annoyed with my iphone of late. Admittedly, a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's so damn slow, being a 3GS. It's put me off having another iphone (that and the signal issue, of course).

The question is, what do I use my laptop for?
Internet browsing (reading the latest news, writing to this blog, making online purchases)
Watching videos
Writing

That's about it, really. And I can do all of that on an ipad, only switching back to the pc when it's time to edit. Hell, I already use my phone to browse the internet and watch videos, due to the aforementioned reasons.

My phone is due for an upgrade sometime over the next 6 months, so when I get rid of the iphone, maybe I'll put some of the money toward an ipad.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment